[Sca-cooks] Regional names for common egg dish...

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Aug 6 10:02:57 PDT 2002

I've never encountered the creamed eggs--not sure if it sounds yummy or
nasty!, but the other dish, with the toast, sounds like what we used to
call "toad in a hole."
On the other hand, the one egg dish my family made (my dad taught us)
that I never saw anybody else do was one in which you sauteed a little
chopped-up onion, threw in some chopped-up tomatoes (fresh or canned,
but drain the canned), and a bunch of beaten eggs.  Some salt, pepper,
and curry powder.  Made this divine-tasting, nasty-looking scrambled egg
"stuff" that dad always called "English monkey."  The "monkey" was
supposedly derived from some Indian (sub-continent) word "mankee," or
something....
Anyone ever heard of *that* stuff??
--Maire, who should be at work but missed the bus <grump>