[Sca-cooks] Regional names for common egg dish...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Aug 6 22:38:03 PDT 2002

At 11:08 PM 8/6/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Oooh....it's about lovely eggs with a bit of salt and grease, and just
>the wee bit of a crispy edge....mmmmm!!!
>Of course, you've got to eat them with little trout cooked in the same
>pan that your dad caught before the sun came up, which it's just barely
>doing now, and the mist is coming up off the lake, and the loons are
>calling, and Mom's making coffee.....
>--Maire, really missing her family and summer camping....

Oh man...
The one camping trip we took when I was about 10 was sheer unmitigated
misery. Borrowed tent that smelled of must and mildew. Sleeping bags right
on teh floor. Pinecones under the floor (Dad set up in the dark, of course-
there are rules about these things). It was at a church CampMeeting, no
less, so I had to endure three services a day, and had to listen to my Dad
preach twice. Oh, the horror! Strange meals, old wooden-walled pit toilets,
which my younger brother was afraid of. Trying to comb my hair in the
mirror of the folks' Buick. The hiss of teh lanterns in teh evening
meetings, and the slap! of people trying to beat off the mosquitos that
were not int eh least daunted by our generous applications of that smelly
spray-Off.

Don't think my Dad ever caught a trout. I have. I was married for 11 years
to a Fisherman. The 'I'd Rather Be Fishing' bumper-sticker was written for
him. About him. I tried to enjoy it, for the sake of actually seeing him
occasionally. I don't enjoy it, and becasue of my allergies I found it
dangerous.

Trout (caught by a friend who brought them by the same afternoon) grilled
on teh Pyromid with some lemon, served with rice pilaf and gently steamed
green beans... I might bite at that bait.

(No Sweetie, I really do not want to go fishing. Camping maybe. Fishing no.)

'Lainie