[Sca-cooks] Simple pleasures (OOP)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Aug 7 05:52:46 PDT 2002

At 02:31 AM 8/7/2002, you wrote:
>olwen you are not at pennsic??
>this might be a sacreledge to admit..
>but since there is just me.. I do either the boil in bag of rice
>or instant.. in the microwave
>1 cup rice, butter one cup broth or water.. nuke it for 10
>minutes and you ahve rice..
>
>the boil stuff I cook, and freeze what I do not eat.. then toss
>hot water thru it when i want to eat it..

I want to remind everyone to exercise extreme caution when handling rice in
such manner.  There is a bacteria (or other type of nasty, can't remember
what or name) that develops in rice, in about 4 hours.  It is impervious to
hot or cold.  That means freezing it, or boiling the sh*t out of it won't
kill it.

Make sure that your rice never remains in the danger zone for more than a
couple hours.  Danger zone being from about 4C to about 65C.  That includes
the time it was sitting on the counter cooling down, and the time reheating
etc...

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies