[Sca-cooks] sugar substitute for wine making?

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Aug 18 16:32:11 PDT 2002

In a message dated 8/18/2002 7:21:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
melcnewt at netins.net writes:

> Can one use a sugar substitute to make the yeast work in a wine? My diabetic
> father was wondering.
>
> Thorbjorn

If you mean an artificial sweetener, the answer is no... because in order to
make alcohol, the yeasts have to ingest the sugar and excrete alcohol and
carbon dioxide.

If you mean something other than sugar... there's honey, and a number of
other sweeteners... but because they'd all need to be digestible by the
yeastie-beasties, I'd assume they'd raise your glycemic index.

I suppose you could make an ultra dry wine and sweeten it artificially... but
then the alcohol presents other problems, as technically it's a carbohydrate
too..... Interesting problem, maybe somebody knows more than I do about it,
but I can't see a way around it.

Corwyn

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)