[Sca-cooks] Gads, Zooks! was Drive-by Dessertings

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 21 12:09:13 PDT 2002

They are part of the New World squashes, so it can't be that
early and it may be rather late before they achieved popularity.
Davidson suggests the 1920's.
Castelvetro includes them in his manuscript as translated by
Gillian Riley. That would place them as 17th century with them being
eaten as marrows in Italy in the late 16th.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway