[Sca-cooks] glossary diagrams

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 23 08:27:57 PDT 2002

Also sprach Cindy M. Renfrow:
>Hello  Does anyone have a diagram of a chicken (pig, sheep, etc.) marked
>with the medieval terms for its parts? I think this would be a good &
>useful addition to the glossary.  http://www.thousandeggs.com/glossary.html

Apart from carving manuals, the closest I can think of are the notas
that appear in one of the volumes of Curye On Inglysh, defining a
pork loin, etc. Maybe if everyone submits the small references
they've seen, we can form a larger picture.

So, for example, we have CoI, [FoC] IV, 56, saying:

"56 Nota. The loyne of the pork is fro the hippe boon to the hede.

57 Nota. The fyletes buth (th)o that buth take oute of the pestels."

In other words, the loin of the pig is from the hip bone to the head,
and the fillets are those that are taken out of the hind legs. I'm
guessing we may be talking about the allegedly rather skinny,
long-legged Northern European medieval piggy, often illustrated as
having somewhat larger and longer hind legs than in front.

Certainly it might help to know the definitions of some of the
medieval butchering terms (clod, hough, cushion, etc), some of which
are still in use today, even if some of the meanings have changed...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER