[Sca-cooks] *Is* this a cooks list?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 23 14:21:58 PDT 2002

Also sprach Kristina L Klingler:
>I'm sorry I haven't been on this list long (and this is my first time
>unlurking), but is the normal tone of this list usually this OT and OOP?
>I understand it's been Pennsic and people get a bit silly, but I'm
>starting to see way more posts that have nothing to do with cooking in
>period or in the SCA than those that do.  This list was recommended to me
>by people I respect, but now I'm starting to have doubts.
>If this is the way this list is normally run, please let me know so I can
>sign off.  I don't have the free time to wade through entire digests of
>mundane garbage to get to the little bit that might be relevant.  However
>if this is just the Pennsic aftermath, I would love to stay on as I know
>there are lots of brilliant people on here I would love to learn from.

The question posed, an hour or so ago, about the service of pies, is
_the_ ideal and best solution to problems such as this one. As I
understand it, this is a list for cooks in the SCA, which means a lot
of what we discuss will have to do with historical cookery in the SCA
period. It does not, however, mean that everything discussed will fit
that description.

Yes, this list is a wonderful place to learn. For many, it's also the
equivalent of the local pub, a place to talk about nearly any topic
among friends, provided that it is not to the detriment of serious
discussion of historical cookery.

Everyone on this list is busy, and everyone is here, on some level,
to learn, but it is not a University, and if it were, there would
perforce be limitations on using the University's time and resources
even for the stated purpose of the University. For example, I could
easily say (and it would very nearly be true) that I don't have time
to go back to school and get my Master's degree because I'm too busy
to be sure and wait on line, fill out the paperwork, and register
properly for a class schedule that I can pursue given my other
obligations. In short, we all have time only for what we make time
for, and being busy really isn't a justification for expecting a
0%:100% noise-to-signal ratio. That said, we certainly have been
rather less likely to talk about period cookery lately than we
usually are, and it _is_ a common summer phenomenon, which may or may
not have anything directly to do with Pennsic.

As I said, probably the best solution is to ask a question you may
have or suggest another topic of conversation that's more to your
liking. Especially when someone is getting the list in digest form,
they're going to have to scan the digests anyway, either for content
or dross. This applies to any list, and we're usually pretty good
about making sure the subject line agrees with the content of a given
post.

So. What did you want to talk about?

Adamantius, wishing there were more on the medieval meat-terminology thread...

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER