[Sca-cooks] *Is* this a cooks list?

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 14:24:35 PDT 2002

>I don't have the free time to wade through entire digests of
>mundane garbage to get to the little bit that might be relevant.

Well, the nice thing about the world is that you don't have
to. I admit I started the very off topic conversation and it should
stop.

However we can look at the garbage that has been posted lately:

A website about dutch oven cookery.
A discussion about dishes served at the Cook's Potluck.
A discussion about meat and animal products used in China and
by the Mongols.
The talk about the Pooh book is pretty much off topic but it
was fairly well ended by a presentation of the courses in the book.
A discussion of trebuchets on the human body. Okay off topic and
should be ended.
And the political rant that is totally wrong but at least the subject
line had big warnings to ignore if you didn't want to read it.
Pictures of some of the projects that list members have done.
What else?

I've had to pretty much explain the premis of this list a few times
but I don't mind doing it again. This list is not about period cooking.
Yes, that is the primary thrust but not the only one. It's about
history, cooking in general, feasts, and subjects that are of interest
to the people on this list. If it were restricted to only scholarly
discussions of translations of recipes and the philosophical differences
in cuskynoles it would die out fast. But this list, like the SCA
is a moving organism. Sometimes die-hard serious and sometimes flippant.
But it is alive. And when discussions get to far off the handle
someone, frequently me, steps in and stops it.

If you want some content, then provide it. Ask a question.
I'm sorry if this list gets a bit too long sometimes, but I would rather
have this with the sometimes totally off-topic or silly posts than
the other six lists I belong to that rarely ever post.

>Kristina Olåffsdotter aff Rejäl Fästningsgrej

Gunthar