[Sca-cooks] Freezing fava beans?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 24 06:13:09 PDT 2002

Also sprach Christine Seelye-King:
>I had a woman in my Feast Planning class say that she could definitely tell
>when starches were refrigerated, as the starch converted in them.  We were
>talking about making grains in advance and doing the boiling bag thing with
>them.  I don't know if the starch in beans would do the same thing?

Possibly, but probably not to any huge extent. While there are
probably people who can detect such things, most people can't, and
some of the people who make such claims are engaging in sophistry.
Note that I said, "some"; please don't flood me with everybody's
personal examples of how you don't fall into this group. I, for
example, can tell from tasting a sample of distilled water whether a
Presbyterian has passed within a hundred meters of the hermetically
sealed sample on any day other than a Wednesday. Depending on the
relative humidity, of course.

Starches don't just spontaneously convert, generally, but there could
be factors such as enzymatic action. Blanching and shock-cooling the
beans in ice water would probably prevent it.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER