[Sca-cooks] Freezing fava beans?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 06:48:33 PDT 2002

Adamantius skrev:

> Starches don't just spontaneously convert,
> generally, but there could
> be factors such as enzymatic action. Blanching and
> shock-cooling the
> beans in ice water would probably prevent it.

OK, question then, love.

When making some of my favorite bean dishes,
noticeably my heretical beaned chili ;-) I have
discovered, over the years, that rather than just slow
cooking for many hours, removing it from the heat,
chilling it, then reheating, at least twice, seems to
make a significant change in both flavor and texture,
which I find very pleasant- I started doing this
deliberately when I noticed that chili/bean dishes
taste much better about the third day/reheating.

What might account for this phenomenon?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,