[Sca-cooks] Re: *Is* this a cooks list? and more

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 25 00:25:01 PDT 2002

Kristina Ol=E5ffsdotter aff Rej=E4l F=E4stningsgrej asked:
> Well, how about late period swedish food?  Recipes?  Good sources?  In
> english?

Well, I've not seen much discussion on this. Most folks doing
Scandanavian stuff are doing Viking stuff.
However, I do have this file in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium:
pst-Vik-Norse-msg (17K)  1/10/00    Post Viking Norse. Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pst-Vik-Norse-msg.html

There might be some stuff in this file, but I think it is mostly
Viking era stuff:
fd-Norse-msg      (49K)  5/29/02    Norse and Viking food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Norse-msg.html

> That don't involve herring?

And the problem with herring is?

> If you don't get your venison for feast from hunting, where do you get
> it?  I've priced farm raised deer, and they're outrageous.

Yes, the farm raised deer is expensive. I think it all has to be imported
because the US doesn't allow native venison to be sold. The only time
I think we've ever served vension was when someone donated there kill.
One time I remember that we were planning on having venison meat but
because the hunters' boasts were more than their skill, we got only
enough to have venison stew.

> Especially
> kosher venison.  How on earth do you budget that?

Why would someone pay the extra money to serve kosher venison at
an SCA feast, when very few feasters are going to be under such
constraints? While that is fine if you are paying that extra cost
for your own table, I think that is wasteful for an SCA feast unless
the quality and thus taste is much better than the non-kosher stuff.
For similar reasons, I suspect very few organic chickens or organic
herbs or vegatables are served at SCA feasts.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net