[Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU & HOURS

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Mon Aug 26 13:13:59 PDT 2002

On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 03:27 PM, XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/26/02 8:17:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:
>
>> but the description above is unlike the huevos
>> rancheros I've seen, which are almost invariably eggs fried in olive
>> oil or lard until golden on the outside and softish in the middle,
>> and topped with a sort of cooked salsa picante, chopped onion,
>> cilantro leaves, etc.
>>

> *gasp!!!!!* HERETICAL!!!!!!
>
> The Huevos Rancheros i've seen have been some sort of omlette with
> cheese
> (Any sharp cheese like Monterrey Jack), sausage, bell peppers, and any
> sort
> of spices you want to put in (like cayenne or chili powder) and then
> top it
> off with salsa.
>
> Misha
> Who waveth his cross of Marzipan over the heretical NY style huevos
> rancheros
> to send the demons out of it.

Ah!  Huevos Rancheros.  Of course the truth may be gleaned by studying
the Book of Refreshments, Chapter 3, Verses 44 through 55.

( http://www.bookofrefreshments.com/refresh3.html#44 )

44. It came to pass that the Master did wander far to the east, for at
that time he was not greatly appreciated in the land of his birth.

45. There he did walk through a village, and in its public square he
found many cooks quietly discussing what to do with an unexpected
bounty of eggs.

46. "We should fry them in olive oil until they are golden on the
outside and softish in the middle," said one cook.

47. "Or in lard," suggested another.

48. Then a third said, "Then we could top them with a cooked salsa
picante, chopped onions, cilantro leaves, and the like."

49. Then the first cook did speak again, saying "Ah, yes. These eggs
will make excellent huevos rancheros."

50. The Master was then overcome with the spirit of the Great Powers.

51. And he did knock some of the cooks down, and push some of the
cooks, and did tread on the toes of the others.

52. Then did he speak most powerfully, "Blasphemy! True Huevos
Rancheros must be an omlette made with a sharp cheese, sausage, bell
peppers, and spices like cayenne or chili powder, and then topped off
with salsa!"

53. And then did the Master realize that he was outnumbered by a
disturbing amount, and that he should probably be leaving.

54. And the cooks did stand up and brush off their aprons and gather
themselves together in a way that just happened to encircle the Master.

55. Then was the Master beaten most severely, and somehow got cayenne
rubbed into his most delicate places.