[Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU & HOURS

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 26 13:14:25 PDT 2002

Also sprach XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com:
>--
>In a message dated 8/26/02 8:17:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:
>

>>  but the description above is unlike the huevos
>>  rancheros I've seen, which are almost invariably eggs fried in olive
>>  oil or lard until golden on the outside and softish in the middle,
>>  and topped with a sort of cooked salsa picante, chopped onion,
>>  cilantro leaves, etc.
>>

>*gasp!!!!!* HERETICAL!!!!!!
>
>The Huevos Rancheros i've seen have been some sort of omlette with cheese
>(Any sharp cheese like Monterrey Jack), sausage, bell peppers, and any sort
>of spices you want to put in (like cayenne or chili powder) and then top it
>off with salsa.
>
>Misha
>Who waveth his cross of Marzipan over the heretical NY style huevos rancheros
>to send the demons out of it.

Yawn.

Do a web search (say, google) for the terms "huevos rancheros",
"recipe". Of the first twelve hits I got, 1 (one) referred to
anything but fried eggs or eggs poached either in water and then
sauced, or poached directly in the sauce. The one exception called
for either egg whites or scrambled tofu, so you can draw your own
conclusions. All seemed to have a cooked salsa and melted cheese.
Some, but not all, mentioned torillas and/or beans. This is not a
cuisine I'm really hugely familiar with, and I'm perfectly happy with
the possibility that the mainstream "correct" version is something I
just have coincidentally missed in both my personal experience and
very brief research. The odds of a peculiar absence of sausage
omelettes-with cheese and salsa from webbed references (if the
concept is well-known, that is) are slim. Not impossible, but slim.
Or maybe these references are in the 9000 web search hits _after_ the
first twelve I looked at. Again, possible, but unlikely.

I have no opinion on orthdoxy or heterodoxy of either type, except
based on my own experience, which may or may not represent that of
others, and a statistical sample.

Now, for those who mentioned sausage being in there. Are we talking
about chorizo? Or is there more Jimmy Dean or Park's (or whatever
brand) of pork and sage breakfast sausage in Tijuana than I realized?

Adamantius