[Sca-cooks] Fw: [trimaris-temp] CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU &HOURS

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Aug 26 21:24:21 PDT 2002

I have *no clue* why it's black beans around here rather than another
kind of bean.  It was, in fact, how I first encountered black beans.  Of
course, that was back in the oooollllddd days when it was pretty
impossible to even find them in the grocery stores, so perhaps it was
meant as a "special" or chic sort of touch, and it just stuck around.
They're tasty, and sometimes (but not always) half-way mashed, almost
like proto-refried beans.  Sometimes served on the side, and sometimes
*underneath* the eggs, like the corned beef hash you can get with
poached eggs on it (nummers!)
We don't really have any of the Cuban/Caribbean influences up here, and
I get the distinct impression our "Mexican" cuisine is more tex than
mex.  We do have several good Asian (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese)
restaurants, though--some more "authentic," and some more
mainstream/fusion.  And we have a really awesome vegetarian/vegan East
Indian place (curries...yummmmm!)
--maire, making herself hungry