Subscribing to sites OT, OOP Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Today's NY Times...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Aug 29 07:22:34 PDT 2002

First, folks PLEASE change the header when you change the topic!  I had
stopped reading the thread.  Thank the gods, once in a while I poke my nose
in a thread I stopped reading to see what is happening, and lo and
behold!  The subject discussed had changed, but the email title
hadn't...  <arumph>  I am likely not the only one to deal with massive
amounts of email.  I receive anywhere between 500 and 750 email a day, on a
good day.  I cannot, and will not read them all and I use the title of the
mail to decide what gets trashed and what gets read.  I ask you, *again*,
as a favour, CHANGE YOUR TOPIC HEADING.  Thank you.  <off the soapbox>

>>Hmmm. Does this mean that if I changed the Florilegium to subscription
>>only, that you wouldn't register?

I'd have to consider.  What benefit going to subscription only would there
be?  Are you thinking of making it a paying site to help you recuperate
costs of running it?  Are you thinking about providing features available
to subscribers only?  Why do you want to do that?

About the only real valid reason I can think of at this point for doing a
subscription/registration process is when you intend for readers to be able
to post information and you want to retain some control over who posts what
to your site.

I personally have a problem with having to register everywhere I go to get
information.  I know Master A points out it's a fairly simple and painless
process to do.  It's not so much how simple/difficult it is to achieve as
the fact that we leave traces of where we're going enough as it is, without
having to do so in yet another location.

>In a world
>where our online security and rights thereto are being slowly eroded,
>this is far from the worst abuse out there.

Agreed, but it's still abuse. <grin>

Of course, if I want the information bad enough, I'll be a good little
lemur and subscribe.  The Florilegium is a location where I want the
information bad enough.  BTW, Stefan, you never answered the off list mail
I sent you about your site...

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry