[Sca-cooks] OT: sugar substitutes/atkins

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Dec 3 11:08:39 PST 2002

That's my soapbox...but there is always room for more people up here.

And the crap about most of your diet being fat...nuts! I happen to have a
preference for boneless, skinless chicken breasts [sorry, Phlip ;-) ] and
fish like salmon and cod...both very low in fat. MAny of us on the lists i
have been on for low carb also don't go nuts with the fat content...

Now to drag it back onto cooking, and period - Cariadoc's Misc and Cindy
Renfrew's 1000 eggs both have good recipes that can be made low carb, and I
am starting to play with Sabina as well. I have noticed lately a large
number of the SCA moving to a low carb/restricted carb lifestyle and they
keep mentioning that they would like to have meals that they could eat at
feast as well. But i have noticed that they are more likely to quietly bring
their own foods or go out rather than make a stink about the lack of
concession to their dietary follies...

margali
[I want my computer back...and my old office. I hate moving - I may have to
go offlist at work for a week or so while settling into the new office;-( ]

the quote starts here:

Re someone else's comments on inaccuracies in reportage on Atkins...
I was very annoyed when an NPR reporter (on All Things Considered, i
think) commented on how one can't eat any vegetables or fruits on the
Atkins diet. This was during an interview with a cardiologist about
the study that found that the high fat Atkins diet was more effective
at reducing weight and lowering cholesterol than the low fat diet
developed by American Cardiologists... The cardiologist, who was
involved in the study, didn't correct him (or if he did, it was
edited out). And of course the cardiologist felt that the high carb
promoted by the American Cardiologists was better than the Atkins...

Anahita