[Sca-cooks] American high school idiom for Buffy fans overseas (OT)

Draco Somnus dracosomnus at katspit.net
Wed Dec 18 06:14:59 PST 2002

> > Excellent, thanks. I was thinking more of other terms, what is:
> > Homecoming (and where have they been?)
>
> The school football team has been playing games at the other schools' campuses,
> now it's our turn to host the games.  Celebrated with a homecoming dance,
> "homecoming queen" and other popularity contests and puberty rituals.

Also a traditional time for recent and no so recent alumni to return to
campus. Maybe this is a Texas or southern thing. I felt rather embarassed
that thirty somethings would be wandering the campus that night in fraying
aged letter jackets.

> > letterman
>
> Having achieved a certain level of achievement in a sport.  One can "letter" in
> multiple sports.

Actually, any extra curricular activity. I lettered in Debate and Drama.
Seniors are allowed to buy wool jackets to which the letters are attached.
And of course, the day they are delivered, everyone wears theirs. My junior
year, the high temp that day was in the 90's. Didn't matter. 8-)

> > Why does everyone get so worked up about cheerleaders? (Vacuous *and* loud
> > doesn't seem to be a combination to laud, to me)
>
> It's the "popularity contest" thing.  The people who get worked up about it are
> usually the ones who were not chosen.

That's the "anti" side, the "pro" side is, um, well, girls in short skirts
and tight sweaters bouncing up and down. I don't know how to phrase it any
more delicately than "girls on trampolines" ala the Man Show on the Comedy
Channel. In most schools the cheerleaders are the "pretty girls" with a few
athletic exceptions.

Lann (still lurking)

DracoSomnus Studios
Weaving Spinning and Costuming