[Sca-cooks] religous personas in the SCA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 01:38:56 PST 2002

Adamantius commented:
> As it seems you may have learned by now, clerical personae of various
> sorts seem to be semi-and-unofficially reserved for gay and bisexual
> SCAdians.

This is the first time I'm heard that comment.

> In theory, such titles are not officially sanctioned by the
> SCA, because of the SCA, Inc.'s refusal to espouse one religion over
> another, or to officially support religious activities at our events.

I don't remember there being any problem with monk (or nun) personas
except that they often were cloistered and would not have been in company
with the outside world at events such as what the SCA portrays.

I think the problem with the title of Bishop, or Cardinal etc, is one

of assuming a rank that has not been awarded, rather than a religous
basis. A medieval bishop or cardinal often had control of land and
serfs much as a baron or other military/civil leader did.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com