[Sca-cooks] monks and rosaries

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 23:59:25 PST 2002

(Soon to be) Fr. Lawrence said:
> Plus, i'm a rosary maker so i'm starting to
> research medieval rosaries. One day, i'll muster enough gusto and money, i'll
> make beads from actual roses. I need to make a 15-decade rosary for Lawrence
> since I have money now.

What year for your persona? I would check that for both this 15-decade rosary
and for the particular order. The rosary evolved over time and certain orders
got started at different times.

> And my sexual orientation has no part in my choosing
> in what sect I go. I'll probably go into the Dominicans, aka the Order of the
> Preachers
All of this may be well known to you already. You still might want to check

these files (hmmm. I may be repeating myself from an earlier message. Sorry

if that is the case)

monks-msg         (71K) 12/18/00    Medieval monks and orders. Monk's clothing.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/monks-msg.html

rosaries-msg      (52K) 12/ 8/00    Period rosaries and their use. Making rose
                                       beads.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/rosaries-msg.html

I don't think a rosary will be that expensive if you are making it out of rose
petals. It's the ones made out of gold and silver which probably got expensive
then (and now). And I don't think a monk would have been seen wearing a gold
beaded rosary. Perhaps and abbot or a cardinal, though...

And of course if these files are beneath your knowledge level, please feel
free to write me an article or even just a message to help enlighten others in
the future.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com