[Sca-cooks] Cookies - Picture

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 1 16:52:18 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd commented:
>>why have
>>raisins when you can have chocolate. The secret ingredients in these
>>cookies, besides the chocolate chips and the dough, is oatmeal and pecans.
>
> Pecans?  Blerch.  Heresy! ;-)

Okay, then I guess you will need to give your portion of my gift away.

>>Bye the bye, how is everyone packaging their treats to avoid breakage and
>>destruction??? I have yet to figure it out.

Well, I started out to make wafers. These would have been rolled and filled
with chocolate or rum filling in order to ship them successfully. But I
was afraid that the wafers might aborb the filling and fail to be crip.
Then I was going to make chocolate brownies, which then morphed into
chocolate fudge because I thought that might stay fresh longer.
However, what you all will be getting now, is pecan pralines. A commercial
variety of which was talked about on this list called "Armadillo Droppings".
This first batch may not have any shipping problems because it is
much softer than I wanted. I'll try cooking the next batch past the
"soft-ball/235 degrees" stage that was called for in the recipe.

Pralines actually seem to come out of New Orleans, rather than Texas,
according to one website I found. Maybe I should add a few jalopenos or
chili powder to these. :-)

Now I just need to get them to Apollonia by Dec. 6.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com