[Sca-cooks] Sabina #30

Mon Dec 2 14:25:17 PST 2002

There was a fair amount of trade between Northern Italy and Southern Germany
dating from Roman times.  The Welsers were heavily involved with continental
trade and one of the richest families in Europe, so I would expect the best
cheeses available to appear in their kitchens even if they were not commonly
available in the market in Augsburg.  I believe they originally made their
wealth in the textile trade and expanded into international banking and the
spice trade and maintained factors in many of the major cities in Europe.

Bear