[Sca-cooks] Turkey day odds and ends

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 2 16:33:25 PST 2002

Mirhaxa,

Buy your pumpkin at Halloween, if kept in a cool, dry place, it'll stay
good for a long time. Just don't let it freeze.  I always cook my
dressing separate from my turkey.  Every time I've tried stuffing the
turkey, I didn't like the way things turned out.  The turkey was dry and
the stuffing very wet. I think I'll try the pumpkin thing next year,
since you gave it your seal of approval.

Someone on the list shared a pumpkin soup recipe served in a baked
pumpkin, but I don't remember who, and now I don't have the recipe
anymore. Stupid computers. Would someone share the recipe again?

I use frozen cherries.  The sour pie cherries canned in water are at the
higher priced stores here in Stillwater, OK.

I get to pat myself on the back. I said dinner would be served at 1-ish
(leaving me room if something didn't work out). The last dish hit the
table at 1:05 pm!

I made my first Gumbo using leftover smoked turkey from thanksgiving. It
turned out OK. It tasted wonderful, but wasn't as thick as I would have
liked. How long does it take to get chocolate-colored roux? I stirred
until I though my arm would fall off, but finally gave up when it was
butterscotch colored.

Liadan