[Sca-cooks] Turkey day odds and ends

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 06:15:24 PST 2002

>Also sprach Marcus Antaya:
>>  > Buy your pumpkin at Halloween, if kept in a cool, dry place, it'll
>>stay
>>>  good for a long time. Just don't let it freeze.  I always cook my
>>>  dressing separate from my turkey.  Every time I've tried stuffing the
>>>  turkey, I didn't like the way things turned out.  The turkey was dry
>>>and
>>>  the stuffing very wet. I think I'll try the pumpkin thing next year,
>>>  since you gave it your seal of approval.
>>
>>My Grandmother makes a stuffing made out of ground veal and pork. It's
>>almost like a meatloaf that's baked in the turkey...the fat from the
>>stuffing keeps the turkey nice and moist, and the stuffing is fought over
>>the last little piece. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I'll post
>>it.
>>
>>To be honest, I never had bread stuffing until I went to my wife's family
>>Thanksgiving.
>>My parents got a phone call threatening death if they didn't save me
>>some!!!
>
>I gather that the meat stuffing is a French poultry tradition, while
>the bread or other starch versions are generally derived from English
>traditions.
>
>Adamantius

I don't know about that Adamantius.  I have a colonial recipe that I posted
here a few years ago that uses a version of a meat stuffing.  In this case
though, you bone the turkey (by slicing down its back to remove bones), make
a forcemeat of veal, suet (I use thick bacon chopped), herbs, breadcrumbs,
mixed together, stuffed into the caviety and thigh bone (also removed) area
of the bird and the bird is sewn back together to resemble a whole bird.
The book does not say where the recipe originates from though.
Olwen