[Sca-cooks] Turkey day odds and ends

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 3 06:47:21 PST 2002

Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>I have a colonial recipe that I posted
>here a few years ago that uses a version of a meat stuffing.  In this case
>though, you bone the turkey (by slicing down its back to remove bones), make
>a forcemeat of veal, suet (I use thick bacon chopped), herbs, breadcrumbs,
>mixed together, stuffed into the caviety and thigh bone (also removed) area
>of the bird and the bird is sewn back together to resemble a whole bird.
>The book does not say where the recipe originates from though.

It probably comes from an English[wo]man who learned it from a
French[wo]man. I'm kidding, but only just. If you were to collate
lots of English stuffed poultry recipes, and lots of French ones, I
think you'd find that the majority of the bready ones are English,
and the majority of the meaty ones are French.

And then, of course, the issue is clouded by the presence of numerous
books by English authors such as Jane Grigson, who are promoting what
is essentially French cookery in England. The trend is not a new one,
though. Markham, Murrell, Digby, Plat, and scads of others have done
this.

Adamantius