[Sca-cooks] Re: Pralines

Wed Dec 4 07:14:41 PST 2002

I occasionally have problems with accuracy in Toussant-Samat.  Some of the
"tossed in" facts aren't as accurate as those making the points of the
writing.

The reign of Loius XIII is 1610 to 1643.  Le Cuisinier francois dates from
1653 (although we may be talking the pastry manual, which is a little later,
IIRC).  So Louis and La Varenne overlap.  If there is a chapter on pralines
in La Varenne then it probably reflects the state of the art at the time of
Louis XIII, La Varenne, and the Comte du Pressis-Praslin (1598-1675) more
accurately than a pronouncment by Toussant-Samat.

Eh, Brighid, what types of pralines does La Varenne discuss in his work?

Bear