[Sca-cooks] atkins crunchies

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 6 13:13:53 PST 2002

Marilyn Traber / margali wrote:
>Well, actually - bran-a-crisp crackers, quantity 2 are great with cream
>cheese and caviar..

Yup, once past the induction phase, bran-a-crisps are pretty good.

>there are also cheese crisps - sort of an equivalent to nothing known to man
>or beast... you know how when you make pizza, the cheese around that gets
>browned is a bit crunchy as the oil is forced out by the heat? it is like
>that.

I thought i invented these in 1974. I called them "cheese cookies",
and i still do.

I needed to lose 5 lbs (yes, 5) and after trying a stringent
"sensible" diet for a month, where i measured everything and didn't
lose *any* weight, i went on the Atkins for a few weeks. I needed to
go from 102 to 97 lb. and that took about a month - even then i lost
weight very slowly and still do.

My boyfriend, a jeweler who worked street fairs, had a day, or should
i say, night, job cooking pizzas. That's how i got the idea of cheese
cookies.

I covered a sheet pan with aluminum foil, put cut-up bits of cheese
together in spots, and put the pan under the broiler for a few
minutes.

The cheese melts, spreads into rounds, bubbles, and then gets crispy
around the edges and on the bottom. One needs to pay attention so
they don't burn. Cool slightly so you can lift them off the foil
without burning yourself, but don't let them get too cool, or they
really stick.

Of course, now i need to loose about 60 lb. and that won't get me
anywhere near 97 lb.

Anahita
skipping SCA feast season to try to diet