[Sca-cooks] another game meat question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 6 15:28:57 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Drat. Drat drat drat.
>
> Well, I suppose we're going to have to do them over charcoal after all.
> That was the original plan, I was just trying to cut down on the amount of
> actual cooking on the day of. I'll have to order one in advance and cook
> it to see how long it takes.

Depending on size, 2-3 hours. A flat cut roast, like a big steak, takes less
time trhan a rounder, thicker roast- if you get a bone-in leg roast, for
example, you might want to butterfly it.

As far as cooking them on a grill, you need to make sure you have coaqls
glowering at you, which means it will take aboutr half an hour for them to
be ready. Easiest thing to do is to leave them in the pile you lit them in
until you're ready to spread them out and cook with them.

Keep a water bottle handy to spritz any flare ups (but in a pinch, a
dripping wet rag will work) and don't throw all your charcoal in at once.
Just use enough to make a bed of coals about 1-2 inches deep, and plan on
adding more at need- about every hour.

It's not terribly difficult but it does hafta be done right, if you want a
properly roasted chunk of meat.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,