[Sca-cooks] Cooking turkey for singles.

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 9 07:28:09 PST 2002

Don't know if you're interested, but Jeff Smith describes a stove top
cooking method for turkey. The only thing I worried about was making
sure the temperature didn't drop below 165 degrees for too long.

Clean the turkey. Remove the giblets & neck and reserve.
Remove the legs and wings, reserve. Put the turkey body in a pot large
enough to hold it and cover with water.  Remove the turkey.  Bring the
water to a boil. Add the turkey body, cover and remove from heat.  Allow
to sit a couple of hours. Add the legs, wings and giblets. Return to
heat and bring just to a boil. Turn the heat off again and allow to
cool.  Check for doneness in a couple of hours.  If not done to your
satisfaction, repeat the process again.  I've done this a couple of
times, when I needed cooked poultry for a recipe and was going to be
home to watch it. The meat comes out nice and moist, great for meat
salad or to put in pot pie. The broth can be cooked down and used as
stock, especially if you debone the turkey and add the bones to the
broth.

This works for chicken, too. Except I left the chicken whole.

Liadan

"I don't think I'm going to roast mine this year, though. I think I'm
going
to strip the meat off the carcass and grind it into sausage. The carcass
then will become stock (I used up the last of last year's turkey stock
last
week making quenelles).

Randy"