[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 10 05:46:53 PST 2002

Dear Stefan,
I am sure you will adjust to an electric range, but it will take some adjustment.  I prefer gas, because when you turn it off, it's off, and when you turn it on, it's on.  With electric, it takes quite a while for the burner to come to full heat, and even longer to drop the heat.  If you want the pot to simmer after a full boil, you must turn it down BEFORE the full boil.  The electric stove in the house I'm in now is so slow that if I want to pan fry something at a high temp, I must preheat the stove before putting the sauce pan on, or risk burning the oil before it becomes hot enough to fry.  (I know, that doesn't make sense, but it's true.)
 Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
> As I was driving on I-95, between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL, I
> caught an ad. Didn't see *what* it was for, but I giggled at the ad
> itself. It read:
>
> "9 out of 10 chefs prefer gas over electricity. The other guy is a sushi
> chef"
Ok, what do you folks really think about electricity vs. natural
gas stoves and ovens?

We're going to start looking at houses again. I'm not sure that I've
ever cooked over an electric range. Our current house has natural
gas, but some of the houses we've looked at in our new area were
built as 100% electric and on septic systems. The advantage of these
is that they are are on much larger lots (because of the septic)
than the newer houses we've been looking at. IF we found one in
our price range, and most aren't, I'm wondering how well I would
deal with the electric range or whether I would really need to
investigate changing to a propane system or connecting to the
city system. Now that the gas mains have extended out past this
nieghborhood, there are gas lines run near some of the houses.

My mother decided she wanted gas when she moved to our house in
1968 from a house where she had electric, but was telling me recently
"I'm sure you will adjust to an electric range"...
Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt