[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Dec 10 06:21:37 PST 2002

>    We're going to start looking at houses again. I'm not sure that I've
>    ever cooked over an electric range. Our current house has natural
>    gas, but some of the houses we've looked at in our new area were
>    built as 100% electric and on septic systems. The advantage of these
>    is that they are are on much larger lots (because of the septic)
>    than the newer houses we've been looking at. IF we found one in
>    our price range, and most aren't, I'm wondering how well I would
>    deal with the electric range or whether I would really need to
>    investigate changing to a propane system or connecting to the
>    city system.

Buy a nice house.
Throw out the electric stove.
Go to the local Lowes or Home depot.
Buy a good quality gas stove.
call the local gas company.
have them put in "bottle" gas (really a refillable tank)
Get a plumber to hook them up.

You _will_ be happier.
Electric sucks.
Especially on the cook top where you can't really control the flame.
The element has only a few set positions.
There is no fine control.
Also unless the pot is in direct contact the heat transfer is very poor, so
shaped pots don't work very well at all (this is why they make "flat bottomed"
woks).

Brandu

Going back to school is like riding a bike ...

After fumbling with the pedals, getting saddle
sores from a too-small seat, and struggling
uphill, you realize why you got a car in the
first place.