[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Dec 11 08:26:09 PST 2002

>    Did Kiriel mention a "flame-tamer?" I used one on my gas stove top when
>    I wanted a gentle simmer.

That was me. alternative to a flame tamer is to put your simmering pot ontop a
cast iron griddle, which you put on the flame. this is what I do and believe me
it works a treat.

>    When I moved I had a lot of enamelware I was told
>    not to use on the electric stove.  Is this a wives tale? Or is there a
>    reason? It did give me an excuse to spend money on heavy,
>    stainless-steel stockpots.

Not a wives tale.
My mother insisted on electric all through my childhood ("Gas explodes, you
know"), but also insisted on fancy enamel teapots she got from Bloomies (she
worked in the Stamford store, when they had one). Well, my brother had this
habit of making a pot of tea when, but then falling asleep while watching TV or
doing homework.
I can't tell you the number of burner elements we replaced because the pot had
melted to the burner.
Now that said, it IS possible to do this on gas stoves (I have seen it with my
own eyes) but it is much harder to do, and the melted and cooled enamel can be
knapped off the cast iron pot supports with a little brass hammer, and be not
much the worse for wear.

Brandu

Going back to school is like riding a bike ...

After fumbling with the pedals, getting saddle
sores from a too-small seat, and struggling
uphill, you realize why you got a car in the
first place.