[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 11 08:10:36 PST 2002

Giles,

Did Kiriel mention a "flame-tamer?" I used one on my gas stove top when
I wanted a gentle simmer.  Or, I use a crock pot. Or bake in the oven.
My pudding recipes specify using a double-boiler. And I stopped having
problems cooking rice when I began adding a bit more water than the
standard 2:1 ratio.  When I moved I had a lot of enamelware I was told
not to use on the electric stove.  Is this a wives tale? Or is there a
reason? It did give me an excuse to spend money on heavy,
stainless-steel stockpots.

I've never had a gas oven where you could get the pan into the flame.
That would worry me!

Liadan