[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Dec 10 06:47:25 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gorgeous Muiredach" <muiredach at bmee.net>

> >Ok, what do you folks really think about electricity vs. natural
> >gas stoves and ovens?
>
> I'll take gas anytime for the cooktop, electric or gas
interchangeably for
> the oven.

<<SNIP>>
> One thing I've learned to do is to just cook things at full blast
and
> control the heat by moving the pan more or less directly on the
element.
> Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

I drive a slick looking smooth topped electric model in my home, and
use numerous electric cooktops regularly.  I find the same issues that
every one mentions . . .  heat control requires extra effort.  Given an
extra, unused burner when I'm cooking, I keep one on high and one on
medium-ish so that I can move back and forth as needed, and I can drop
the medium one down if needed.

There will be learning curve going to electric (read a few over-cooked
or scorched dishes here and there), Stephan, but you'll learn to cook
over it.  You have to make timing and technique adjustments to
accomplish what you would do differently over a quick responding heat
source.  It's the same kind of issue moving to cooking over live coals
or fires . . . . you can't do it the same way.  The heat from each
source is a different ingredient that must be handled differently (to
borrow a metaphor).

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco