[Sca-cooks] gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Dec 10 07:09:37 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Ok, what do you folks really think about electricity vs. natural
> gas stoves and ovens?

Comparatively, electricity sucks.

Understand, Stefan, I'm quite capable of cooking with any heat source- I
baked cornbread and made Frijoles Negros con Huevos on a wood stove this
weekend, and am quite capable of using a wood fire, charcoal, gas, electric,
a microwave, or whatever to cook with, but given my choice, I'd use a gas
stove, either propane or natural every time.

> My mother decided she wanted gas when she moved to our house in
> 1968 from a house where she had electric, but was telling me recently
> "I'm sure you will adjust to an electric range"...

Well, that's the key. "You'll get used to it." Yes, I'm sure you
will...eventually. I've been cooking on Margali's electric range for nearly
a year, and I'm sure I'll get used to it...eventually....in some other
lifetime....

The trouble with electric is that it isn't as responsive as gas is. Also,
considering your visual problems, it's a lot harder to see that a burner is
hot. If you get electric, plan on having first aid for burns right near the
stove, because I'm betting you're going to need them.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,