[Sca-cooks] Alows of Beef or Mutton

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Dec 10 16:55:31 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >For example, my favorite, default vegetable oil to cook with is peanut
oil
> >because I like the flavor, and because it will take a high temperature
> >before burning.
>
> Only caveat on that- it is easy to forget that you've used peanut oil when
> you're making out the ingredients list for the gate/door/flyers/etc.
Anyone
> with a peanut allergy (and there are quite a few!) is going to get a nasty
> surprise. Just a reminder...
>
> 'Lainie

Well, I appreciate the reminder, but it's an unlikely circumstance. In the
first place, I would use the fat specified in a period dish, and not peanut
oil. In fact, I'm unaware of any dish in the Medieval manuscripts which
specifies peaniut oil, so I flat wouldn't use it. Secondly, I'm quite aware
of the allergy problem with that substance, so if I were cooking a mundane
meal for some friends, I'd be quite likely to mention it, if any of my
guests had an allergy problem- as in, "Hey, Margali- you have allergies- do
you have a problem with peanut oil?" before I cooked.

It's part of common courtesy, like my avoidance of any substance which would
trigger her mushroom allergy- much as I love them, I don't even risk
bringing them into the house.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,