[Sca-cooks] list lurkers

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 23:22:49 PST 2002

>Maybe it is time for the lurkers to make themselves known again...grin>

I'm not exactly a lurker, but I dont think I ever properly introduced myself.
I am Ranvaig the Weaver, and have been in the SCA for about 14 years.

I had heard of the SCA, but had no idea that I lived 6 blocks from the meeting
until I rode my bike past a demo they were doing.  I stopped to chat and
found out where the group met.  My son was about 4 then, just the age
to be thrilled with swords and "being a knight".

Ranvaig is either a 9th c Viking from Yorvik who sometimes visits
10th c Dublin to play with the Irish Living History group, or a
mid 15th c German Lutheran who makes lace.  I've flip-flopped
between those two era since the beginning and opted for Viking
cause I found material for my pavilion that worked for Viking
but wasnt enough for a late period tent.  You mean you aren't
supposed to shop for tent canvas in a fabric store?

I never cooked a feast of my own, but helped in the kitchen regularly
over the next years, as well as spinning, card weaving and other
fiber arts.

My daughter was born when I was 39, and I was laid off.  I chose to spend
a few years as a stay at home mom, to deal with a school age son who
in many ways is brilliant but has ADD and profound disabilities handling
written language.  And a real talent for out-thinking teachers and
driving them distracted.

A few years later it was becoming harder to handle both children
at events, and it was harder to afford the events and I dropped out.

During this time, my arthritis was becoming more and more of an
issue.  I stopped embroidering and weaving and took up bobbin lace.
Last spring I finally gave in and got a wheelchair.  Eventually I'll
need knee replacement.

Three years ago I found some SCA mailing lists, and went to Pennsic
again.  Since then I have been trying to be active again.
I am now A&S minister for Tirnewydd, Middle Marches,
Middle Kingdom (Columbus OH).

In October I helped with feast at Red Dragon and was happy to
find that with the help of the wheels, I stayed in the kitchen all
day, helped wash dishes and clean up, and was still feeling good
at the end of the day.

It gave me ambitions to be head cook at the next Red Dragon, and
I began putting together a menu based on Welserin and Rumpolt.

My son is 18 now and has turned into a wonderful young man
and the archetype computer whiz kid.

My daughter is 10  and acts somewhere between 6 and 16.
One minute playing with Barbie dolls, the next wanting lipstick
and 4" heels... and wench garb *S*. Like her brother, she has
ADD and problems with written language and is going thru
struggles at school.

She has the additional challenge of being 5'5 and 170 pounds
at age 10.  She wears size 10 or 11 shoes.  She is in fourth
grade and taller than the teachers.

In a moment all your plans and priorities change. Last Saturday,
my husband had an elevator fall on him.  He is doing well, all
things considered.  They moved him from TICU to a regular
room and began physical therapy.  Today they had him sitting
in a chair for a few minutes.

I really, REALLY wish I had talked him into going to Red Spears,
so I could eat the nice feast and maybe help in the kitchen.
But he was supposed to work that afternoon.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'm going back to work, at least for part
of the day.  Sorry if I rambled too much in this.

Ranvaig mka Sharon Palmer