[Sca-cooks] Beef/chicken stock; white vs.. brown

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Dec 11 08:18:14 PST 2002

At 09:44 AM 12/11/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Since we're getting this straight.  Could someone please list the
>definitions and differences between stock, consommé, broth, etc.,
>please? Maybe list recipes/techniques for each?

If you refer to my previous post, you'll get technique for stocks.

A broth, as I understand it, is usualy a "less refined" stock, that usualy
doesnt' have as much of the nutrients / fatty stuff that you'd have in a
stock.  Perhaps cooked less, with less time.  But someone may have a better
answer to that.

consomme (e accent aigu) is *white* beef stock (unless you're making veal
consomme, or chicken consomme, or or or).  Once it's cooled down, you mix
ground meat (type of meat depends on type of consomme) with chopped
aromatic elements (what you call "veggies"), and egg white.  Mix the whole
thing real well, and slowly bring to a boil.  CONTROL THE HEAT, let
simmer.  it will slowly form a crust a the top.  You want to keep a couple
"chimneys" for the bubbles to get out, but do not touch the crust
otherwise.  cook for a couple or three hours, and remove liquid carefully
out.  You have consomme.  Don't let a sweetie or manager come in and stir
the thing as it crusts, as it'll ruin it.

>Recipes I've used have "stock" in the title and include vegetables among
>the ingredients.

Yes, stock does include vegetables.  Typically onions, celery and
carrots.  Classically leaks, but...  These are considered aromatic elements.

>What do you call it if you simmer it down to a syrup? (after taking out
>the solids)

Glaze.

<SNIP a good method for stock>
What you've described is how to make a brown beef stock.

>Note: Do caution your partner (if not a cook) that the mess is not
>eatable, and to not turn the fire off.

Hehehehe.

I had an apprentice once whom I asked to strain the turkey stock we were
making...  He ditched the liquid, kept the solids.  I was not impressed,
but then, I hadn't been really clear about it...  <sigh>

>Please share how you make vegetarian stock, broth or whatever we're
>calling it. Many thanks!

I'd consider it more a broth than a stock, but...  I'd just throw in
carrots, celery, onions, perhaps leaks, parsley, fresh thyme, perhaps
garlic, "otherstuff", and let it cook a short while.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry