[Sca-cooks] Beef/chicken stock; white vs.. brown

Randall Cook of Northpass goldberg at bestweb.net
Wed Dec 11 09:12:39 PST 2002

> >Since we're getting this straight.  Could someone please list the
> >definitions and differences between stock, consommé, broth, etc.,
> >please? Maybe list recipes/techniques for each?

As I understand it, stock is made from bones and aromatics only. Broth is made
from meat and aromatics, and is generally less intense and less gelatinous.
Consomme is clarified stock. Soup is broth or stock served with stuff in it.
Concentrated stock is glaze ("glace de viande") and demi-glace is equal parts
glaze and concentrated sauce espagnole.