[Sca-cooks] Copper bowl question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 11 18:09:04 PST 2002

Randall Cook answered me with:
> A clean copper penny might in fact work - but I wouldn't count on it; it's
> too small in relation to the volume of your eggs.

Yes, this makes sense once you all mentioned it.

> And unless you're planning
> on making a lot of whipped egg whites, a copper bowl is probably more work
> to keep clean and pretty than it's worth.

Oh! I hadn't thought of that. I've had rather poor experience with
copper feastgear. I found myself polishing the plates and mugs. Then
just before the feast I would need to polish them again, since they
had tarnished. And then, even if the food had only sat on the plates
for a short time period, I found myself having to polish them again
when I got home. Too much work. And yes, I tried a varity of copper
polishes. I still have that set of feastgear somewhere. But they've
long since been replaced with a set of "artifical" pewter. Pewter gets
hot from hot food and soaks away the cold from cold food. I want an
insulated pewter mug. :-) Pottery is nice, but I drop things and it
would probably have a rather short lifespan.

> Now, copper POTS are worth the investment, IMHO....
Why? You would still have to polish them. And coating them with a clear

finish would seem to distroy the reason you want them for whipping eggs
or for quick heat transfer.

I did try coating the copper/brass feastgear with the clear acryllic

finishes, but it would chip off and then that spot would tarnish.

Stefan
(or are you talking about Plain Old Telephone Service? Which indeed
involved, and still does, a lot of copper...)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com