[Sca-cooks] Something to Chew on, literally- OT

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 09:26:01 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/12/2002 5:41:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> Ennyone on-list who's had problems with TMJ? I had some dental work last
> week, and something went *boink* (from trying to keep my mouth open enough,
> I think)- I have a small mouth- or so they say- and I'm a 'gagger' so it
> was no fun, or rather, less fun than most dentist visits are. Hurt alot the
> first couple of days, then it felt a little better, then it hurt more...
> feels like the hinge is popped/off track, and it won't stay where it
> belongs. Today it doesn't hurt much unless I try to open my mouth wide
> enough to put something in, then it sticks and won't open without a lot of
> banging and popping. My ear is blocked on that side too. I'd sooner chew
> ground glass than go back in to the dentist. Any grand ideas before I
> resign myself to my fate and call in in the morning?

Sounds like TMJ to me, and a bad case of it as well.  I'm a physical
therapist mundanely and learned somethng about it in school - most of the
things you tried were standard therapeutic techniques for it15 years ago, but
I'm hardly up to date :-)  I'd say bite the bullet and call the dentist.

Brangwayna