[Sca-cooks] Deaf, was Russian (was Re: Accidental french) - OT

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 10:52:58 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/12/2002 5:07:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> so how many deaf, friends of deaf, grew up around deaf, or know sign
> language types are ON this list anyway?

I fall under the heading of "learning and forgetting sign language" types.  I
do my best, but I just don't use it enough to remember the vocabulary... I am
a physical therapist working in the school system, and although I only have
two deaf students (one of whom was not identified until age 4, and still has
a very limited vocabulary at 6 or 7, and the other of whom is also retarded
and microcephalic and has very little language at all) on my caseload, I do
have a number of non-verbal students who use sign or a modified version of
sign as an expressive language at times.

Brangwayna