[SCA-Cooks] list lurkers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 13 23:03:32 PST 2002

Neassa said:

> We don't serve the
> general public, just friends and family - although anyone who wanders by
> late on Sunday gets fed, whether they're hungry or not! Working from Elinor
> Fettiplace's Receipt Book and the Martha Washington cookbook, I had
> successes with a parsnip tart (the 6yo went back for seconds!) two
> different small sugar cakes, jumbles, and strawberry cakes.

I think each of these, or at least similar dishes, have been discussed
here at one time or another.

> This coming season, I'll be running the kitchen for the ambassador from
> Navarre. Which is how I found this list - wandering about looking for ideas
> for Southern French cooking from the middle of the 16th century. Any
> suggestions gratefully accepted - my focus has always been English.

Most of my files are organised by food dish or type rather than by year
and region, but here are a few in the FOOD-BOOKS and FOOD-BY-REGION sections:
16thC-cookbk-bib  (11K)  3/ 2/00    A bibliography of 16th C. cookbooks.

fd-France-msg      (8K) 10/11/01    Food of medieval France. Referances.

> I haven't experimented with any recipe that didn't already have some sort
> of modern version written - but considering how freely I tinkered with them
> (hmm, it seems to me the original recipe suggested...) I plan to experiment
> more over the next few months.

Perhaps these files in the FOOD might help:

Redacting-art     (10K)  7/ 3/00    "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting Recipes"
                                       by Caointiarn.
redacting-msg     (25K)  9/23/01    Changing period recipes into modern format.

> So happy to have found you!
Welcome to SCA-Cooks! Please feel free to ask questions or make

comments.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com