[Sca-cooks] bread starter

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Mon Dec 16 10:48:31 PST 2002

Actually, while they'd be descendants of the original starter, they
wouldn't BE the original starter.

Yeast mutate.  Quickly.  This is why they are so popular with geneticists
for testing.  The only way to get a yeast strain that is truly period is
to find a dormant cell in a verifiable period piece of pottery/etc.
(Yes, yeast DO stay dormant for that long.  They've found period beer
yeast dating back to the ancient Egyptians.  And brewed beer with it.)

BUT, you'd be a heck of a lot closer than using a New World starter.

--Cian O'Madadhain
mka John Kemker