[Sca-cooks] bread starter

Mon Dec 16 11:17:31 PST 2002

Simple organisms change fairly rapidly, so it is doubtful that they are
identical to the ones 500 years ago, but they probably wouldn't lose the
qualities which make a good bread yeast.  One also needs to remember it is
not just the yeast, but the lactobacilli which produce a good starter.
Fortunately, the travel together in the same dry starter culture.

If you want some different starters, buying them from Ed Wood or a similar
dealer is the easy way to do it.  Wood has a good reputation.

If you just want to experiment with sourdough starter, make your own.

Bear