[Sca-cooks] bread starter

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 16 21:59:52 PST 2002

Bear said:
> If you want some different starters, buying them from Ed Wood or a similar
> dealer is the easy way to do it.  Wood has a good reputation.
>
> If you just want to experiment with sourdough starter, make your own.

Years ago, I did make my own sourdough using my own starter for awhile.
Have you (or anyone else?) tried several different starters from a
place such as Ed Wood? Did you see any real differances between the
different starters? Or do normal differances from one batch to the
next, drown out the differance between starters?

If they are indeed different, how do you keep them from contaminating

each other? Simply freeze one before you use another? I know some
local brewers who have so much yeast free floating and otherwise
around their house, that fruit juice left for a short while on the
counter begins to ferment.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com