[Sca-cooks] fruit experiment

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Dec 17 15:36:39 PST 2002

    Exploring and sharing:

 While I was on vacation, I found quinces!  Of all places, the Wally-world
in Billings.  So I picked up a handful that smelled "fruity," and came home
to play with them.  Quite yummy baked quinces.  and poached.  Mine didn't
turn rosy per the cookbook notes.    I also made some jam/paste with apple
juice, and will probably seal it in jelly jars with a water bath  -- not
knowing how else to preserve the stuff.

    On another note:  The Mistress picked up a "horned melon" (?)  Handsize,
orangey-yellow skin with sharp bumpys.  Cut open, the flesh is very green,
with seeds that are whitish.  Smells/tastes like a sour cucumber.  Not bad,
but wondering just what would be "ripe."  How to eat it?  The flesh is quite
gelatinous  -- kinda like tomato/ cucumber seed stuff.

    Caointiarn