[Sca-cooks] fruit experiment

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 18 13:38:17 PST 2002

Martha Washington's Book of Cookery has quite a few quince receipts, and
depending on how you cook it(covered or uncovered) you can make your jelly
come out different colours.  There's also a quince-stuffed-with-chicken &
raisins receipe in Paula Wolfert's Mediterreanean cookbook that sounds very
good.  Out of curiousity, why did you add apple juice?  I have always used
water as the liquid, or once red wine.  The quinces should gel admirably on
their own, having lots of pectin.  For preserving it, if you add enough
sugar, and keep the air from it, it should be preserved just fine.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson