[Sca-cooks] Isabella's latest stunt and rice vinegar question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Dec 24 10:00:01 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Phlip, you said you use rice wine vinegar. The brand I got was Nakano,
seasoned rice vinegar...great, just typing in I noticed it wasn't rice WINE
vinegar. Ever heard of it? Seems the only seasoning was a little sugar.
Since I live out in God's country and am fairly well snowed in, I guess I'll
try it and see. I really don't know a whole lot about wine or vinegar or
fancy cooking or period cooking..but thanks to you guys, I'm trying and
learning.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the operative words are "rice" and "vinegar",
and in a pinch, "vinegar" will work, as long as it's real vinegar, and not
that white stuff.

Essentially, you're looking for a flavor element, rather mild, to make up
for the Americanized stuff in the early Joyce Chen recipes. Chinese
cookery's great strength is its ability to bring out the best of the flavors
of each of the cooked foods, rather than blending them all together, as is
done in so much American cooking, so when you add additional flavors, you
want a balanced hand.

Later, when egg rolls become a comfortable part of your culinary repertoire
(and they will- they're easier that they look, and they taste Really Good
when you make them fresh), you can vary the ingredients considerably, and
use up assorted leftovers.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,