[Sca-cooks] Christmas Dinner

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Dec 25 07:36:21 PST 2002

Also sprach Nancy Kiel:
>Since Colonial Williamsburg is crucial to the functioning of the universe
>(not!), I will be working today, and trying to keep my temper when
>well-meaning visitors ask, "Why do they make you work on Christmas Day?" and
>the correct answer is, "Because you bought a ticket!" which does not meet
>the requirements for H & C (Hospitality and Courtesy).  The Foundation will
>provide those working today with a typical Christmas dinner, ham, turkey,
>trimmings, etc.  At least I'm not working tonight as well.

If a different perspective might help with this, I remember my son's
first year on this earth as the one where I worked on Thanksgiving,
until 3 AM Christmas morning (sleeping till late afternoon being
marginally better than working till late afternoon, but both take a
chunk out of Christmas with the family), and till about 4 AM New
Year's Day. New Year's was the worst, because the entire rest of the
staff bailed on me, leaving me alone, rather like Cinderella, to
attend to the needs of 400 drunks.

I can only say that some industries are like that, and you makes your
choice when you signs on for the job, and paychecks are a good thing,
after all. However, it's one of the reasons I no longer do that for a
living.

May your slightly belated holiday be a joyous one!

Adamantius