[Sca-cooks] coffee storage

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 26 11:57:56 PST 2002

Alton Brown did a show about coffee.  He said although most people like to
store their coffee in the freezer, you end up getting condensation every time
you move it back and forth from the freezer, which will eventually degrade your
coffee.

His suggestion was to use an opaque sealing canister (with a really good
airtight seal).  The carbon dioxide given off by the fresh beans will be
allowed out whenever you periodically open the container to get your beans.
Apparently if you were to leave freshly roasted beans sealed in a canister for
a long period of time it could shatter the cannister!  I don't think this
applies to grocery store bought beans, though.  Another Alton Brown tip:  when
buying beans from the supermarket, look for packaging that has a one way valve
- allows carbon dioxide out and keeps outside air out.

Faerisa